Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thing 4, final post

First, I have to say how nice our Children's Department looks! Just have to brag a little. We have nearly 280 children participating in the 2008 Summer Reading program. We offer three story hour programs, one program for students in grades K-5, and a monthly book club for students grades 3-6. We also have weekly visits from local day care providers, and we're enjoying a very busy summer.

These pictures, including the one tagged 23 Things on a Stick, were from a special story hour. Our local festival royalty were guests at Family Story Hour, each reading a book to the dazzled little girls.

I am using Flickr to begin to organize my personal and library photos. I can mark photos with children them private and still have easy access to them. I think I'll use Flickr at the library, and will explore ways to link more pictures to our website. The library has used Picasa, which also is easy to use, etc., but now that I've been introduced to Flickr, I might as well stick with it.

Now that the link is set up, it's ridiculously easy to post pictures. I'm still in the mindset of using URLs and code; clicking on a button, with my blog and Flickr linked like that is just amazing.

Of course, the other part of me, the side that learned a bit of code here and there and develops very, very strong, unique, passwords, is uneasy. All of this openness and sharing is a bit too much. A librarian friend calls this my optimistic negativism, an apt description.

Anyway, I've learned a lot with this Thing, since I have tended to leave photos to another staff member who actually enjoys working with them. I like the online editing tools. I can honestly say that I would not have explored Flickr without this assignment.

No comments: